Sunday, October 4, 2009

Run for the Cure

I am blessed to be a part of an amazing circle of women. This group gathers with the changing seasons and forms a circle of strength and support for all who attend.

Each gathering is filled with laughter and tears, love and understanding, food and wine. (oh yes, and usually some chocolate :) Through this circle, I have met many amazing women and today, some of us gathered to honour one such woman.

These gathering we call Red Tent Circles and one of our wonderful Red Tent sisters is battling breast cancer. She is battling with such courage and grace that it leaves me speechless. Anyone who spends just a few minutes in a room with this amazing woman knows instantly that she is special. She shares her heart openly and has a wicked sense of humor. I have not know her long, nor do I know her well, but I do know that I wanted...needed?... to show my support to her in some small way. My hope that our participation in todays Run for the Cure will show her how much she is loved and appreciated and will help her know that there are many people sending her love and strength to call on whenever she may need it.

Here is a group shot without the men (really, there are no men in the Red Tent :)




Our beautiful honouree is center #2058.

The whole group particpating in her honor today could not fit into one frame of my camera without bulldozing the Running Room booth behind me so here are two shots to show everyone.







This event was really quite something! Thousands of runners and walkers and volunteers come together to make this happen. Wow!!
I did not here a final tally for the day but I do know that our little group raised more than $3000 for cancer research.
Here are two other Red Tent sisters "warming up" for the run (J...you had to know I'd post this, right?!? :)

And here is a close up of our team shirts -- the Red Tent Runners

Today we gathered to honour one special member of our circle and to pledge support to all others affected by cancer. Someday, I hope that these events will no longer be needed. That women like this incredible lady will not have to fight this fight, and that families will not have to go through all that they are going through.
Until then, we "Women of the Red Tent" will continue to show our support. (And next year...we'll have costumes!! LOL)

1 comment:

  1. I'll get you my pretty.....mhua hahahah:)
    J

    ReplyDelete